Nedbank Group Ltd is a bank holding company and one of the four largest banking groups in SA measured by assets, with a strong deposit franchise and over six million clients. The principal banking subsidiary is Nedbank Ltd. It has a market capitalisation of R95,4bnas at 31 December 2012. Old Mutual plc is the majority shareholder, owning 52% of the group.
The products and services provided include:
- Wholesale and retail banking services
- Asset management
- Wealth management
Focus and positioning :
- Southern Africa with selected African expansion.
- Positioned as a bank for all.
- Top two wholesale bank and strong marketpositioning in commercial property finance, business banking, vehicle finance, card acquiring, deposit taking, asset management and high-net-worth banking services.
- Pan-African banking alliance with Ecobank Transnational Inc for West and CentralAfrica, providing clients with access to 36 countries across Africa.
- Leadership in sustainability, transformation and community involvement.
In 2011 the JSE declared Exxaro one of the best performers in the Socially Responsible Investment Index (SRI). This is an honour awarded to only 22 of the listed companies in South Africa. The current JSE SRI assessment covered social, governance, climate change thresholds and the new environmental performance threshold.
Eskom is a South African electricity public utility. The utility is the largest producer of electricity in Africa, is among the top seven utilities in the world in terms of generation capacity and among the top nine in terms of sales. Eskom has started using direct and indirect dry cooling systems in its efforts to conserve South. Africa’s limited water supplies
Coal of Africa
Coal of Africa is an emerging developer and producer of thermal and coking coal. Based in South Africa, the company owns and manages three operating collieries and is developing a fourth, which is currently at the project stage. With access to rail and port infrastructure, Coal of Africa can effectively service both domestic and international markets. The company was incorporated in Western Australia and listed on the ASX in 1980. Since 2005, the company has also listed on both the AIM and JSE markets, allowing further growth in the company’s coal assets.